Old 16-04-2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_1_] DavidM[_1_] is offline

Default Removing positively charged particles from pond water

Chris Barnes wrote, On 12/04/2007 16:04:
Hmmm.
I wonder if this is why every pond in my area (east Texas) is dark and
cloudy, instead of the clear water we see to the west of us (in the hill
country of Texas). Here we have LOTS of clay in our soil; there the
soil is very rocky.
Please let me know how this works for you - it might be the solution I
have been seeking for a way to clear up the water in ponds here.

I tried the water treatment over the weekend. Before treatment the
visibility was about 4", you could see fish at the surface, but not
swimming around. 24 hours after treatment the visibility had improved a
lot. I can see fish clearly at a depth of 6", and swimming 12" under
water. There is still some way to go yet, so I'll redose after 5 days.
Before contaminating the water with clay I could see all 5' to the
bottom.

The poduct I used was Interpet Clear Pond, they keep the ingredients
secret. I expect it uses a polymer coagulant (rather than Alum) because
there is no mention of pH change in the instructions
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...ecode=bphrooks

Interesting PDF on "Control of Clay Turbidity in Ponds" if interested is
available here; http://govdocs.aquake.org/cgi/reprin...25/7250060.pdf

--
DavidM
www.djmorgan.org.uk