Old 20-04-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
phillerup phillerup is offline

Default starting pump for spring and worried about fish and frogs

Well
I stirred things up a bit before hooking up the hose and running the
pump and no fishies in the leaf trap. Did however pull up a dead frog
(yes he was dead before being pulled up, part of it was skeletel) I
wonder if the fishies tried to eat him? His legs were pretty whole,
but his upper body was only bones. I know I know, gross, imagine how
much find it was cleaning up.

Now onto the worst part of the exercice, yes worse than a half
skeletel frog.......
After connecting everying up, and getting the waterfall flowing and
feeling pretty good about it...I notice my wedding rind is missing!
Took everything apart, seached as much as I could in the little
daylight that was left but this has got to be the worst activity for
losing ones wedding ring in. Between the fact that it could have
actually fallen INTO the pond or my skippy filter, all of the water
that I was spilling all over and potentialy burying the ring in mud,
and all of the moving edging rocks around, this thing could be
anywhere! Iv lost a bit of weight recently and it has been loose but
I am in shock that I didnt feel it falling off. Im thinking/hoping it
was while screwing pvc parts of my pump/filter setup together that it
came off or whie moving rocks as those are the only two things I can
think would have pulled on the ring. Got a friend who is going to
come by with a metal detetor but Im getting conflicting reports as to
how well titanium is detected by a metal detector. Wish me luck
everyone and dont ever make the same mistake. Wife is being very
understanding....Thank God

On Apr 19, 11:40 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:34:30 CST, wrote:

Hi
Im starting my pump up probably tonight. Water is pretty murky from
winter, wanted to make sure there arent any fish orfrogs hanging out
in the bottom drain. Any advice?
My bottom drain is just some 3" hosing running over the liner running
to a retro bottom drain.
Any suggestions?

Could you flush the hosing with a garden hose perhaps, or is it permanently
hooked to the pump? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us