Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Use of the word "behen" in names

writes
This exactly why I asked my question. I found 20 plant names all with
"behen" as the second part of the name (a latin name being the first
part). Have had no luck finding the meaning of behen in these names.

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
As it's from a Persian or Arabic (or Turkish) word behmen or behman,
your best bet would be to find a dictionary of one of those languages.
It seems to be obscure enough that you'd need a big dictionary from a
reference library. You could also try a Complete Oxford English, as the
word seems to have been used in English.

Phred schreef
For God's sake mates, use your nouse! Taxonomists are famous for
scratching each other's backs. I have no doubt these plants are named
after Mr/Dr/Sir/Rev/Whatever Behen. The world is full of Behens.

A simple Google search for "behen" turned up a couple of genealogy
links in the first ten of 7130 items found. As well as this one which
I rather liked, being very contemporary. :-)

quoting
Jahaaji Behen? Feminist Literary Theory and the Indian Presence in the
Caribbean. Sheila Rampersad Centre for Caribbean Studies University
/quoting

Cheers, Phred.

+ + +
I am not sure what a nouse is and how it should be used (perhaps it is an
ossie spear thrower? or a particular kind of beer mug. That would explain
things!), but you are not using common sense. It is exactly because there is
a tradition of naming plants for people that this one was not named for it.
If there were a famous botanist that Linnaeus named this plant for
references to it would pop up all over the place. In the absense of these it
must have a fairly obscure source.

Not to mention that an epithet based on Mr/Dr/Sir/Rev/Whatever Behen should
be "behenii" / "beheniae" (if female) or behenianus/um/a

PvR