Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM

Default Use of the word "behen" in names

P=A0van=A0Rijckevorsel wrote:
Curious. Within the first ten hits of my search engine I got this:
Behen: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]
Behen \Be"hen\, Behn \Behn\, n. [Per. & Ar. bahman, behmen, an =A0 herb,
whose leaves resemble ears of corn, saffron.] (Bot.)
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0(a) The {Centaurea behen}, or saw-leaved centaury.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0(b) The {Cucubalus behen}, or bladder campion, now
called =A0 =A0 =A0 {Silene inflata}.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0(c) The {Statice limonium}, or sea lavender.

This exactly why I asked my question. I found 20 plant names all with
"behen" as the second part of the name (a latin name being the first
part). Have had no luck finding the meaning of behen in these names.

Jack

Old 28-03-2003, 11:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Curious. Within the first ten hits of my search engine I got this:
Behen: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]
Behen \Be"hen\, Behn \Behn\, n. [Per. & Ar. bahman, behmen, an herb,
whose leaves resemble ears of corn, saffron.] (Bot.)
(a) The {Centaurea behen}, or saw-leaved centaury.
(b) The {Cucubalus behen}, or bladder campion, now
called {Silene inflata}.
(c) The {Statice limonium}, or sea lavender.

schreef
This exactly why I asked my question. I found 20 plant names all with
"behen" as the second part of the name (a latin name being the first
part). Have had no luck finding the meaning of behen in these names.

Jack

+ + +
Looking at IPNI there appear to be the following basionyms:
Astragalus behen
Centaurea behen
Silene behen and / or Cucubalus behen [not sure if these are the same plant]
Erica behen
Statice behen

The way I count that makes five or six. Not really a popular epithet at all.
BTW, words like Astragalus, Centaurea and Erica are Greek, not Latin.

The obvious assumption would be that these plants look like behen or are
used as behen. Since the dictionary states "whose leaves resemble ears of
corn" the logical thing would be to look at the leaves of these plants.
However, if these pictures are accurate this looks unpromising:

http://www.uochb.cas.cz/~natur/cerambyx/centbeh.htm

A clue as to its appeal may be found here [?]:

http://www.reason2shop.com/hernirsexvit.html
http://www.herbsandfood.com/products/herbs.html

PvR

Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

writes
This exactly why I asked my question. I found 20 plant names all with
"behen" as the second part of the name (a latin name being the first
part). Have had no luck finding the meaning of behen in these names.

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
As it's from a Persian or Arabic (or Turkish) word behmen or behman,
your best bet would be to find a dictionary of one of those languages.
It seems to be obscure enough that you'd need a big dictionary from a
reference library. You could also try a Complete Oxford English, as the
word seems to have been used in English.

Phred schreef
For God's sake mates, use your nouse! Taxonomists are famous for
scratching each other's backs. I have no doubt these plants are named
after Mr/Dr/Sir/Rev/Whatever Behen. The world is full of Behens.

A simple Google search for "behen" turned up a couple of genealogy
links in the first ten of 7130 items found. As well as this one which
I rather liked, being very contemporary. :-)

quoting
Jahaaji Behen? Feminist Literary Theory and the Indian Presence in the
Caribbean. Sheila Rampersad Centre for Caribbean Studies University
/quoting

Cheers, Phred.

+ + +
I am not sure what a nouse is and how it should be used (perhaps it is an
ossie spear thrower? or a particular kind of beer mug. That would explain
things!), but you are not using common sense. It is exactly because there is
a tradition of naming plants for people that this one was not named for it.
If there were a famous botanist that Linnaeus named this plant for
references to it would pop up all over the place. In the absense of these it
must have a fairly obscure source.

Not to mention that an epithet based on Mr/Dr/Sir/Rev/Whatever Behen should
be "behenii" / "beheniae" (if female) or behenianus/um/a

PvR

Old 28-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
I am not sure what a nouse is and how it should be used

Slang term for intelligence/common sense.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 28-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Martin Rand

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
I am not sure what a nouse is and how it should be used

Slang term for intelligence/common sense.
--

I think that's "nous". I would guess a nouse is either a snall rodent or
else something you nove around to nake your conputer work.

Old 28-03-2003, 06:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Martin Rand schreef
I think that's "nous". I would guess a nouse is either a snall rodent or
else something you nove around to nake your conputer work.

+ + +
Internet is a wonderful thing.
The correct spelling is "NoUse" and it appears short for a 'musical' band:
"No Use for a name". Still not sure how to use it.
Perhaps it is a general comment about the futility of trying to understand
names?
PvR

Old 29-03-2003, 10:56 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Curious. Within the first ten hits of my search engine I got this:

Behen: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]

Behen \Be"hen\, Behn \Behn\, n. [Per. & Ar. bahman, behmen, an
herb, whose leaves resemble ears of corn, saffron.] (Bot.)
(a) The {Centaurea behen}, or saw-leaved centaury.
(b) The {Cucubalus behen}, or bladder campion, now called
{Silene inflata}.
(c) The {Statice limonium}, or sea lavender.

PvR

schreef
Can anyone give me the history of the use of the word behen in plant
names (and at least one insect i.e. Phytoecia behen) It seems it might
be related to India in some way but I have been unable to find a
description on the web. I am not knowledgable in Botany (should be
obvious) just curious.

Thank you.