Old 21-04-2007, 03:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Santa Rosa plum

On 20 Apr 2007 11:24:12 GMT, ceed wrote:

Jangchub wrote in
:

On 15 Apr 2007 05:55:49 GMT, ceed wrote:

Hi,

Last year I bought a Santa Rosa plum tree at the Home Depot. It came
back nicely this spring with a lot of flowers. Then a couple of weeks
back I read somewhere that you need at least two of these trees to get
fruit. I went and purchased another one and planted it about 35 ft.
away from the first one. Is that close enough to get proper
pollination? Also, does anyone here have experience with this plum
here in the Austin area?

Santa Rosa Plum is a self-pollinator.

Really? Then both the site on the net I read about this and the guy
at the Home Depot was wrong. So yet again I learn to triple check!
Thanks!

This is the very first site I came across when searching on Santa Rosa
Plum:

http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/5780

From this site:

http://www.davewilson.com/br10/br10Plum.html
Santa Rosa sized 50 to 90; purple over yellow coloring; excellent
acidic flavor; harvest the 2nd to 3rd week of June; sets the standard
for flavor in plums; early to mid-season bloom; vigorous, spreading
tree; self-fruitful; 300 hour estimated chilling requirement.