Old 15-04-2007, 06:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Santa Rosa plum

Hi,

Last year I bought a Santa Rosa plum tree at the Home Depot. It came back
nicely this spring with a lot of flowers. Then a couple of weeks back I
read somewhere that you need at least two of these trees to get fruit. I
went and purchased another one and planted it about 35 ft. away from the
first one. Is that close enough to get proper pollination? Also, does
anyone here have experience with this plum here in the Austin area?

--
//ceed
Old 16-04-2007, 12:25 AM posted to austin.gardening

On 15 Apr 2007 05:55:49 GMT, ceed wrote:

Hi,

Last year I bought a Santa Rosa plum tree at the Home Depot. It came back
nicely this spring with a lot of flowers. Then a couple of weeks back I
read somewhere that you need at least two of these trees to get fruit. I
went and purchased another one and planted it about 35 ft. away from the
first one. Is that close enough to get proper pollination? Also, does
anyone here have experience with this plum here in the Austin area?

Santa Rosa Plum is a self-pollinator.
Old 20-04-2007, 12:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote in
:

On 15 Apr 2007 05:55:49 GMT, ceed wrote:

Hi,

Last year I bought a Santa Rosa plum tree at the Home Depot. It came
back nicely this spring with a lot of flowers. Then a couple of weeks
back I read somewhere that you need at least two of these trees to get
fruit. I went and purchased another one and planted it about 35 ft.
away from the first one. Is that close enough to get proper
pollination? Also, does anyone here have experience with this plum
here in the Austin area?

Santa Rosa Plum is a self-pollinator.

Really? Then both the site on the net I read about this and the guy
at the Home Depot was wrong. So yet again I learn to triple check!
Thanks!

--
//ceed
Old 21-04-2007, 03:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

On 20 Apr 2007 11:24:12 GMT, ceed wrote:

Jangchub wrote in
:

On 15 Apr 2007 05:55:49 GMT, ceed wrote:

Hi,

Last year I bought a Santa Rosa plum tree at the Home Depot. It came
back nicely this spring with a lot of flowers. Then a couple of weeks
back I read somewhere that you need at least two of these trees to get
fruit. I went and purchased another one and planted it about 35 ft.
away from the first one. Is that close enough to get proper
pollination? Also, does anyone here have experience with this plum
here in the Austin area?

Santa Rosa Plum is a self-pollinator.

Really? Then both the site on the net I read about this and the guy
at the Home Depot was wrong. So yet again I learn to triple check!
Thanks!

This is the very first site I came across when searching on Santa Rosa
Plum:

http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/5780

From this site:

http://www.davewilson.com/br10/br10Plum.html
Santa Rosa sized 50 to 90; purple over yellow coloring; excellent
acidic flavor; harvest the 2nd to 3rd week of June; sets the standard
for flavor in plums; early to mid-season bloom; vigorous, spreading
tree; self-fruitful; 300 hour estimated chilling requirement.
Old 25-04-2007, 06:04 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote in
:

This is the very first site I came across when searching on Santa Rosa
Plum:

http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/5780

From this site:

http://www.davewilson.com/br10/br10Plum.html
Santa Rosa sized 50 to 90; purple over yellow coloring; excellent
acidic flavor; harvest the 2nd to 3rd week of June; sets the standard
for flavor in plums; early to mid-season bloom; vigorous, spreading
tree; self-fruitful; 300 hour estimated chilling requirement.

Thank you! I got both mine from The Home Depot. They had one left last
year, and the other one was a loner this spring. They are really nice
looking trees with a lot of fruit set this spring. I can't wait to see
how they come out (unless hail and/or wind prevents it from happening).

--
//ceed

Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree? [email protected] Gardening 4 08-07-2007 06:59 PM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM
Deadhead Rosa "Old Blush"? Steve Roses 2 19-04-2003 09:56 PM
Killa Bluma Rosa Primula! lms Roses 0 06-04-2003 03:56 PM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM