Old 28-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Growing water lilies

Karen wrote in message
I'm new to this, but I have a very small pond and want to get a very small
water lily to go in it. Unfortunately the ones I've seen look half dead
(possibly out of season) and cost a small fortune. Is it possible to grow

them
from seed, and if so where can I get the seed from?

There are hardy waterlilies for all depths of water from a few inches to 5
ft or so (above the crown) how deep is your pond?

Like all water plants they are best bought/repotted when in growth, that way
any damage won't cause total rot, it's too early for any hardy ones to be
growing much yet (although my Gladstoniana is beginning to move but then
being the ultimate thug it would). May is a good time to buy, any showing
good growth before are forced under glass and to be avoided.

In theory you could grow from seed but where/how you get seed is another
matter and then they won't be any of the excellent hybrids (which must have
come from seed!).
Such a shame Latour-Marliac took all his hybridisation knowledge to his
grave or we'd probably have a hardy blue by now.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.