Old 28-03-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Growing water lilies

Hi,

I'm new to this, but I have a very small pond and want to get a very small
water lily to go in it. Unfortunately the ones I've seen look half dead
(possibly out of season) and cost a small fortune. Is it possible to grow them
from seed, and if so where can I get the seed from?

Thanks

Karen
Old 28-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Karen wrote in message
I'm new to this, but I have a very small pond and want to get a very small
water lily to go in it. Unfortunately the ones I've seen look half dead
(possibly out of season) and cost a small fortune. Is it possible to grow

them
from seed, and if so where can I get the seed from?

There are hardy waterlilies for all depths of water from a few inches to 5
ft or so (above the crown) how deep is your pond?

Like all water plants they are best bought/repotted when in growth, that way
any damage won't cause total rot, it's too early for any hardy ones to be
growing much yet (although my Gladstoniana is beginning to move but then
being the ultimate thug it would). May is a good time to buy, any showing
good growth before are forced under glass and to be avoided.

In theory you could grow from seed but where/how you get seed is another
matter and then they won't be any of the excellent hybrids (which must have
come from seed!).
Such a shame Latour-Marliac took all his hybridisation knowledge to his
grave or we'd probably have a hardy blue by now.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Ron Palmer

Karen wrote in message
I'm new to this, but I have a very small pond and want to get a very

small
water lily to go in it. Unfortunately the ones I've seen look half dead
(possibly out of season) and cost a small fortune. Is it possible to

grow
them
from seed, and if so where can I get the seed from?

i enquired recently about plants for ponds/water features at a local garden
centre and was told that they won't have any plants, etc ready until May

ron

Old 28-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Larry Stoter

wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this, but I have a very small pond and want to get a very small
water lily to go in it. Unfortunately the ones I've seen look half dead
(possibly out of season) and cost a small fortune. Is it possible to grow them
from seed, and if so where can I get the seed from?

Thanks

Karen

There are 'dwarf' water lilly varieties. We have a nice yellow one
growing happily in a half barrel. Difficult to find and expensive (£20?)
but sucessful.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
JimM

I noticed that my local Tesco's where doing an instant water garden type box
the other day. It's nothing more than a bowl with a few water plants which
they guarantee to grow. Can't remember if it had lillys in it but may be
worth a look. Think it was about £20 and there were 2 different sets.

HTH

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Larry wrote in message

There are 'dwarf' water lilly varieties. We have a nice yellow one
growing happily in a half barrel. Difficult to find and expensive (£20?)
but sucessful.
--

Called the Pygmaea type suitable for just a couple of inches of water above
the crown (which is the water depth always quoted).

If you have 10 inches to 15 inches of water over the crown then can I
recommend "Sioux" the flowers of which start off pale yellow and change
through orange to red as they age. Deep red mottled leaves too. Stunning
plant! (yet another Marliac introduction)