Old 22-04-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Need to remove my existing driveway

On 21 Apr 2007 19:56:49 -0700, draku wrote:
I'm planing to do remove my existing driveway this summer and build
new garage on the other side of the house. Does anyone have experience
with removing pavement driveway? What tools to use? Any tips?

Hire it done. Once you get the concrete broken up (and you may be
dealing with re-rod or wire in the slab), you'll have to load it and
find a proper dump or recycling venue for it. Expect the concrete to be
a minimum thickness of 4" -- 5 is quite likely. Then you will also
have to deal with a crushed stone compacted underlayment if it was
done "properly".

But if you really want the exercise, concrete saw or jackhammer, sledgehammer,
pry bars and possibly a sawzall... Don't forget safety glasses, gloves
and steel toe boots. Dust masks are adviseable.

Asphalt and compacted stone are easier to remove, but I suspect your
"pavement" = my "concrete".

Kay