Old 23-04-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default speaking of virus testing

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:30:04 -0400, unknown
wrote:

went to the GNYOS show yesterday; lots of purty plants (incl. 3 kovachii
hybrids from piping rock; they claimed to be selling seedlings but i

an outfit there selling virus test kits. basically it's a
dip strip type of thing; tests for cym mosaic and odont ringspot.
website www.agdia.com for those interested. they also seem to do testing
of samples you send in. (disclaimer: i don't know those folks, i don't
know anything about virus testing, and i have no idea if it works.)
--j_a

Sorry to hear about your Phal. We were at the GYNOS on Sat. Very
disappointing. After years of photos and descriptions of this lavish
display... It was crowded on an narrow footprint behind the normal
area for the show. Talked to Lauris from Cal Orchids. She said the
venue wanted to make more money by giving the rink tent over to a
cafe. It did nothing for the show. Piping Rock's Phrag K. hybrids
were nice, nice and disappointing. 2 had the size and color from
Phrag K. the other was smaller and not as vibrant toned. Only one was
named - . Right now I don't have my notes or the memory to tell you
what the hybrid was.

There was a miniature mount which I would have had to identify as
Aerangis luteo-alba v. rhodosticta -- except it was on steroids. The
flowers were close to 2 inches long. It was in the glass case in the
second house and the tag had disappeared. But I know no other white
flower with an orange anther cap.

We came home with no new plants - a new record. - But walking in NYC
does that to you. No interest in hauling more than I had.
SuE