Old 23-04-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
clarissa clarissa is offline

Default meconopsis Q

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
I have a meconopsis sheldonii,i got three off T & M two years ago, i lost
two of them.The one left has come up and looks like it has a flower bud, i
know you are supposed to be cruel to be kind and take off the flower bud

build up the plant. Or should i let nature take its course and leave
alone.My only worry is disbudding then losing it over winter!!
any feedback appreciatted.
thanks keith

Hi Keith I have grown Meconopsis for many years (not from seed - alas I

am not that green-thumbed) from bedding plants and I have found that it
makes little difference if you take off the buds their first year or not. I
have two plants right now that have been growing in a shaded, humusy moist
spot for 6 years and I let them bloom along as they choose. They are
looking quite perky at the moment and one is starting to bud. I bought
three more last year as one never knows when the older ones will decide to
vanish - and one of those is in bud and I am going to leave it alone. Hope
this is of some help Jean Vancouver BC Canada