Old 22-04-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default meconopsis Q

I have a meconopsis sheldonii,i got three off T & M two years ago, i lost
two of them.The one left has come up and looks like it has a flower bud, i
know you are supposed to be cruel to be kind and take off the flower bud to
build up the plant. Or should i let nature take its course and leave
alone.My only worry is disbudding then losing it over winter!!
any feedback appreciatted.
thanks keith

Old 22-04-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Keith Kent" contains these words:

I have a meconopsis sheldonii,i got three off T & M two years ago, i lost
two of them.The one left has come up and looks like it has a flower bud,
know you are supposed to be cruel to be kind and take off the flower bud
build up the plant. Or should i let nature take its course and leave
alone.My only worry is disbudding then losing it over winter!!
any feedback appreciatted.
thanks keith

If I remember the theory correctly, if you _don't_ disbud it,
it'll act like an annual, and you'll lose it anyway!

By disbudding it, it acts like a perennial...

I'll be up at Branklyn Gardens tomorrow, (original UK home of
the Mecanopsis) and I could ask about it, if you like?

--
'She'

~Rosa Luxemburg

Hi, Please do,i know some die after flowering and some are short lived
perennials (is this the same)which sheldonii is ( so are they perennial
until they flower)!!
i am confusing myself now!
thanks keith

Old 23-04-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote:
[...]

Until I looked at the Meconopsis site, I had always believed that they
were all monocarpic (which is the word I couldn't remember earlier) but
there, they refer to 'the monocarpic ones' which would indicate that
_some_ are not?

http://www.meconopsis.org/

Here they say to let M. sheldonii flower, and collect the seeds from
the seedheads when they dry...

Strangely, or coincidentally, the Meconopsis Society is affiliated to
the Scottish Rock Garden Club, which I joined on Saturday...

I thought I would check, in case Branklyn is closed tomorrow. I know
that they are only open on certain days, and I'm not sure which.

--
AnneJ

~Rosa Luxemburg

Thanks Anne, interesting site now in my favourites!

Old 23-04-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
I have a meconopsis sheldonii,i got three off T & M two years ago, i lost
two of them.The one left has come up and looks like it has a flower bud, i
know you are supposed to be cruel to be kind and take off the flower bud

build up the plant. Or should i let nature take its course and leave
alone.My only worry is disbudding then losing it over winter!!
any feedback appreciatted.
thanks keith

Hi Keith I have grown Meconopsis for many years (not from seed - alas I

am not that green-thumbed) from bedding plants and I have found that it
makes little difference if you take off the buds their first year or not. I
have two plants right now that have been growing in a shaded, humusy moist
spot for 6 years and I let them bloom along as they choose. They are
looking quite perky at the moment and one is starting to bud. I bought
three more last year as one never knows when the older ones will decide to
vanish - and one of those is in bud and I am going to leave it alone. Hope
this is of some help Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

When talking about meconopsis: does anybody know where to get seeds or
plants of Meconopsis sinomaculata?
Cheers
Gotthelf