Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Martin

Default Dosing With Nitrates - how much

Thanks a lot - I think I will try Flourish first (if I can get it in the
UK)....and venture into the realm of dosing, at my leisure....

"LeighMo" wrote in message
What's your reccommendations LeighMo - w.r.t. which type of dosing is

best ?

I've never tried Flourish Nitrogen, but I'm curious about it. (They claim
"Flourish NitrogenT is a concentrated (15,000 mg/L) blend of nitrogen

sources.
It provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred

ammonium
form. However, no free ammonia is released because the ammonium in

Flourish
NitrogenT is complexed and unavailable until utilized by the plants.

Flourish
NitrogenT also provides nitrate for those plants that can readily utilize
nitrate as well." Probably just marketing B.S., but I want to try it

anyway.
:-)

Right now, I use plain old potassium nitrate, bought from a chemical

supply
house. Being too lazy to mix up a solution, I use the Tom Barr method: I

just
dump the dry powder into the tank, a quarter teaspoon at a time. I also

use
Jobe's spikes and root tabs that contain nitrate.

Leigh