Old 28-03-2003, 06:08 PM
John Jones

Default Worse than Mallsai?

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Not yet. That's why I was soliciting advice here.

i would definitely say something, but in a nice way, giving

information rather
than just criticizing their intention to raise money.

The mini-bonsai kit was included with about 200 other various
gift items in a catalog produced by some company. I doubt the
school can effect a change in the catalog contents - merely stop
the program which I know they will *not* do. They need the money
too much.

I object to the programs because it's all over-priced junk that
I'm expected to badger my co-workers and neighbors into buying.
The school only gets a small percentage of the money, and they
use techniques that I consider unfair to pressure kids (me
actually) into making sales: Any kid who doesn't sell at least
$300 of this junk has to sit in study hall with the other losers
while their classmates go to a party.

I've offered to just give the school $300.00 if they'd just leave
us alone and not punish my little girls for under-performing, but
they won't go for it.

Anyway, I digress. This whole program gripes me, and when I saw
my own girl get taken-in over a bonsai kit (two things I care
about - my kids and my trees), it pushed my buttons. I'll just
have to watch what she buys a little better.

At any rate, I'm gonna help her raise the thumbelina bonsai kit,
and also help her pick one of my potensai so she'll get a more
realistic idea of what it's all about.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of

the oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)