Old 25-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Eric Hunt Eric Hunt is offline

Default Borneo: Anoectochilus albolineatus - jewel orchid

Kathy,

It rained cats and dogs every day. I shot some video of the rain with my
pocket digital camera, but it's too big to post anywhere and YouTube
destroyed the quality to the point that I just deleted them from YouTube.

The forest has *perfect drainage* - especially the higher montane forest
at Kinabalu. In the lowland rain forest there were boggy areas, but
those never dry up. We got to walk through one of them for about a
kilometer. Ask John about *that* day!

I'm going to work over the summer on a talk based on the trip and will
include some snippets of the rain video in the talk.

The rain usually rolled in around 3pm and it would drizzle/rain/pour all
afternoon and sometimes all night. It was always done by morning. This
happened in the lowland (Mulu) and the highland (Kinabalu).

I can't recommend Malaysia, particularly Kinabalu, enough. The country
is essentially 1st World - very modern, efficient, and most importantly,
*very* affordable. Aifare was head and shoulders the biggest expense. We
had great accomodations everywhere - including hot water - and good food
everywhere. I didn't lose weight on this trip like I did in Ecuador and
Peru!

-Eric

K Barrett wrote:
One of the things I was struck by was how wet it was. All your shots have
moisture dripping from the flowers and foliage. Was it as wet as it looks?
Or is that morning dew? Burns off later?

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
From Kinabalu Park

--
Many more shots from Borneo, including Sunday Markets, rainforest images,
and lots of flowers, plants, bugs at my website.

Enjoy!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org