Old 25-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Borneo: Anoectochilus albolineatus - jewel orchid

From Kinabalu Park

--
Many more shots from Borneo, including Sunday Markets, rainforest images,
and lots of flowers, plants, bugs at my website.

Enjoy!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Attached Thumbnails
Borneo: Anoectochilus albolineatus - jewel orchid-anoectochilus-albolineatus-2.jpg
Old 25-04-2007, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

One of the things I was struck by was how wet it was. All your shots have
moisture dripping from the flowers and foliage. Was it as wet as it looks?
Or is that morning dew? Burns off later?

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
From Kinabalu Park

Old 25-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Kathy,

It rained cats and dogs every day. I shot some video of the rain with my
pocket digital camera, but it's too big to post anywhere and YouTube
destroyed the quality to the point that I just deleted them from YouTube.

The forest has *perfect drainage* - especially the higher montane forest
at Kinabalu. In the lowland rain forest there were boggy areas, but
those never dry up. We got to walk through one of them for about a
kilometer. Ask John about *that* day!

I'm going to work over the summer on a talk based on the trip and will
include some snippets of the rain video in the talk.

The rain usually rolled in around 3pm and it would drizzle/rain/pour all
afternoon and sometimes all night. It was always done by morning. This
happened in the lowland (Mulu) and the highland (Kinabalu).

I can't recommend Malaysia, particularly Kinabalu, enough. The country
is essentially 1st World - very modern, efficient, and most importantly,
*very* affordable. Aifare was head and shoulders the biggest expense. We
had great accomodations everywhere - including hot water - and good food
everywhere. I didn't lose weight on this trip like I did in Ecuador and
Peru!

-Eric

K Barrett wrote:
One of the things I was struck by was how wet it was. All your shots have
moisture dripping from the flowers and foliage. Was it as wet as it looks?
Or is that morning dew? Burns off later?

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
From Kinabalu Park

Old 26-04-2007, 12:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Eric, do you ever travel to South FL? I wonder if we could arrange a
speaking tour for you, encompassing several societies. What a blast that
would be! We've been trying to coordinate meetings so we can have higher
quality speakers.

Diana

K Barrett wrote:
One of the things I was struck by was how wet it was. All your shots
have moisture dripping from the flowers and foliage. Was it as wet as it
looks? Or is that morning dew? Burns off later?

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
From Kinabalu Park

Old 26-04-2007, 01:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana,

That sounds like a fun opportunity, but my vacation time for the next
two, possibly three years is 100% booked. =(

I can recommend Ron Parsons as an awesome speaker, though, and I know
he's got a lot more vacation time than I do. (He's a gardener with the
City of San Francisco)

Check him out at:

http://www.flowershots.net/

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 26-04-2007, 03:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Eric, I'll pass you name along to our VP, she needs someone for
Sept, (I think)

If not PLEASE tell me who gets to hear your talk and I'll travel (yes!) to
see it.

K Barrett wrote:
One of the things I was struck by was how wet it was. All your shots
have moisture dripping from the flowers and foliage. Was it as wet as it
looks? Or is that morning dew? Burns off later?

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
From Kinabalu Park

Old 26-04-2007, 08:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:42:04 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Thanks, Eric.

Diana

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
m...
Diana,

That sounds like a fun opportunity, but my vacation time for the next two,
possibly three years is 100% booked. =(

I can recommend Ron Parsons as an awesome speaker, though, and I know he's
got a lot more vacation time than I do. (He's a gardener with the City of
San Francisco)

Check him out at:

http://www.flowershots.net/

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Ron was just in Denver doing his talk on Rarities and Oddities in the
Orchid world. Very nice talk. See if you can get a slide list from
him to publish as a handout for those who just have to get what he
shows. They can not spell it without the help. He has a lovely book
on Masdevallia's and has another book coming out this summer.. I have
forgotten the area. He said he had about 15 different talks that he
does for societies. One of the growers here hosted him. Enjoyed it
very much.

SuE
Old 26-04-2007, 08:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I checked his web site. Will give the info to our incoming VP.

Diana

"SuE" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:42:04 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Thanks, Eric.

Diana

om...

Old 26-04-2007, 11:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sue,

Ron's next book is on Calochortus, common name Mariposa Lily. He spent
all summer of 2005 driving around California photographing almost every
species known. They are bulbs native to the western part of North
America, from Canada to Mexico, with the center of diversity in California.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Jewel Orchid - Haemaria discolor.jpg [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 28-03-2009 08:57 PM
Jewel Orchid Chris Savas Orchids 2 03-02-2009 10:53 PM
Borneo: Anoectochilus albolineatus - jewel orchid flowers Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2007 04:29 PM
Golden Gate Orchids - Anoectochilus setaceus - strange alien flowers Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 4 26-11-2006 06:51 PM
Jewel Orchid Gramma Orchids 4 30-05-2005 05:59 AM