Old 26-04-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Unknown Veg from Malta

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This year whilst i was in Malta I bought a Veg in the marrow family
which a friend thought was called the 100 year fruit? but I wont swear
to this as the stall I bought it of knew no english name for it.
Pics at http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

I agree with Mike Lyle. It's a choko (or chayote as the Merkins call them).
If he is as old as I am, he and I would both no doubt have ghastly similar
mamories of it from childhood. Chokoes steamed and served as a veg, chokoes
stewed with apples and served as a dessert etc ad nauseum............

They grow like a weed in a warm climate and are capable of enveloping the
outhouse, the tool shed, the chook house, parked cars and strangling unwary
gardeners in their beds (and that is only one plant).