Old 25-04-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown Veg from Malta

This year whilst i was in Malta I bought a Veg in the marrow family
which a friend thought was called the 100 year fruit? but I wont swear
to this as the stall I bought it of knew no english name for it.
Pics at http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown
Also on there is a picture of a pink flower, bought the seed last year
as a Solanium with edible fruit, it's no Solanium.
The plants were grown in an unheated poly tunnel and died back to
ground level for the winter.
Any ideas as to the names of either/bot5h plants.
Thanks
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 25-04-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
This year whilst i was in Malta I bought a Veg in the marrow family
which a friend thought was called the 100 year fruit? but I wont swear
to this as the stall I bought it of knew no english name for it.
Pics at http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown
Also on there is a picture of a pink flower, bought the seed last year
as a Solanium with edible fruit, it's no Solanium.
The plants were grown in an unheated poly tunnel and died back to
ground level for the winter.
Any ideas as to the names of either/bot5h plants.
Thanks
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Is your news server playing up? Just in case it's abolished my earlier
reply, it looks like a choko, a chayote. Pointless recipes at:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...rchives?p=1320

--
Mike.

Old 26-04-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Apr, 21:29, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks Mike,
Something is playing up as I didn't have a single new message on the
group yesterday, and it still says no activity despite several new
messages this morning.
Knowing how MSN and a couple of other servers have been playing up I
just thought that with time it would come back.
Thanks again.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 26-04-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This year whilst i was in Malta I bought a Veg in the marrow family
which a friend thought was called the 100 year fruit? but I wont swear
to this as the stall I bought it of knew no english name for it.
Pics at http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

I agree with Mike Lyle. It's a choko (or chayote as the Merkins call them).
If he is as old as I am, he and I would both no doubt have ghastly similar
mamories of it from childhood. Chokoes steamed and served as a veg, chokoes
stewed with apples and served as a dessert etc ad nauseum............

They grow like a weed in a warm climate and are capable of enveloping the
outhouse, the tool shed, the chook house, parked cars and strangling unwary
gardeners in their beds (and that is only one plant).

Old 26-04-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:39:23 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given

wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Recipe here
http://www.smart.com.mt/recipes/stuffedmarrows.shtml

You can't really do that with a choko: they're too small and irregular.
And anyway, why should anybody in their right mind want to? Even
pumpkin's better. . . well, almost: at least a choko tastes of nothing.

--
Mike.

Old 26-04-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:34:55 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I guess the locals know how to cook a Maltese marrow.

Put me down as a hopeless grouch by all means, but if you ask me the
food in Malta doesn't warrant a mention in dispatches. Well, the lemons
are nice.

--
Mike.

Old 26-04-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 Apr, 21:25, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:34:55 +0100, "Mike Lyle"

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Some Maltese people cook soup (brodu) and cantinarja is one of the
ingredients they put in they peel the cantinarja and cut it in small
pieces.
but In 15 years of going to Malta I have only come across it about 6
times, whilst every Veg stall sells pumpkin, they cut as much as you
want of it from pumpkins that are about 15 to 18 across.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-04-2007, 05:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

Recipe here
http://www.smart.com.mt/recipes/stuffedmarrows.shtml

You can't really do that with a choko: they're too small and irregular.
And anyway, why should anybody in their right mind want to? Even
pumpkin's better. . . well, almost: at least a choko tastes of nothing.

I guess the locals know how to cook a Maltese marrow.

They probably do know how to, but they probably do stuff a marrow and not a
choko. Mike is quite right about chokoes being too small to stuff. In
addition, they also have a big seed in the middle which is almost impossible
to get out if you want to stuff it.

Old 27-04-2007, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 Apr, 23:29, Dave Hill wrote:
On 26 Apr, 21:25, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:34:55 +0100, "Mike Lyle"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

This is probably the most informative site regarding the chokos
http://www.greengold.com.au/wallsend/chokos.htm

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Weed killer traces in nine of 10 urine samples of people in Malta David Hill United Kingdom 30 16-06-2013 11:08 AM
Unknown shrub / tree from Malta Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 11-07-2011 09:15 AM
Unknown Veg Dave Hill United Kingdom 5 26-04-2007 10:44 AM
Cruz de Malta MP Plant Science 7 04-06-2004 02:14 PM
Publish your paper in WSEAS Transactions, WSEAS, MALTA, SEPTEMBER 1-3, 2003 Pericles Stavrou Plant Biology 0 04-07-2003 12:20 AM