Old 26-04-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Olive Tree Problem

On 26/4/07 11:42, in article
, "Anyroadup"
wrote:

I planted an Olive tree a few weeks ago and kept it well watered, as I
thought one should with any newly planted container grown plant, but
some leaves started to yellow and fall off. I decided this must be
over watering, since the Olive shouldn't normally need much, and cut
the watering right down. The leaves now look a bit dry and curled. How
can I judge how much water it needs please?

Water it when it's dried out and remember how they grow naturally - rocky,
well drained soil. Is yours raised so that water can dry right away,
because while the soil on top might feel dry to the touch when we have sun
and wind to dry it, the soil at the bottom might still be very wet. And is
the container too big for the plant? If so, you have a lot of cold, wet
compost sloshing around roots that are too small to take it up and will rot.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk