Old 26-04-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olive Tree Problem

I planted an Olive tree a few weeks ago and kept it well watered, as I
thought one should with any newly planted container grown plant, but
some leaves started to yellow and fall off. I decided this must be
over watering, since the Olive shouldn't normally need much, and cut
the watering right down. The leaves now look a bit dry and curled. How
can I judge how much water it needs please?

Old 26-04-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:18:02 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/4/07 11:42, in article
.com, "Anyroadup"
wrote:

I planted an Olive tree a few weeks ago and kept it well watered, as I
thought one should with any newly planted container grown plant, but
some leaves started to yellow and fall off. I decided this must be
over watering, since the Olive shouldn't normally need much, and cut
the watering right down. The leaves now look a bit dry and curled. How
can I judge how much water it needs please?

Water it when it's dried out and remember how they grow naturally - rocky,
well drained soil. Is yours raised so that water can dry right away,
because while the soil on top might feel dry to the touch when we have sun
and wind to dry it, the soil at the bottom might still be very wet. And is
the container too big for the plant? If so, you have a lot of cold, wet
compost sloshing around roots that are too small to take it up and will rot.

My neighbour has one growing in a pile of rocks and very sandy soil.
The heap of rocks and soil is about four foot high. The tree is only
about six foot high but it is tangled up all over the hill. It looks
quite mature like a twisted tree from a horror movie. It produced some
olives a few years ago but they didn't taste as good as shop bought
ones. Of course, everyone said they were great!

Steve

Old 26-04-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
[...]
quite mature like a twisted tree from a horror movie.

That's what they're supposed to look like. I believe the expression is
"architectural".

It produced some
olives a few years ago but they didn't taste as good as shop bought
ones. Of course, everyone said they were great!

ISTR the processing of olives to make them eatable is quite involved: I
read it up on the Web once, and I'm sure it'll still be there. It struck
me as little short of miraculous that humans ever worked out what to do
to them.

--
Mike.

Old 26-04-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/4/07 20:39, in article ,
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
[...]
quite mature like a twisted tree from a horror movie.

That's what they're supposed to look like. I believe the expression is
"architectural".

It produced some
olives a few years ago but they didn't taste as good as shop bought
ones. Of course, everyone said they were great!

ISTR the processing of olives to make them eatable is quite involved: I
read it up on the Web once, and I'm sure it'll still be there. It struck
me as little short of miraculous that humans ever worked out what to do
to them.

Despite my warning, Ray bit into a fresh one of ours and pronounced it truly
vile!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-04-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 Apr, 21:40, Sacha wrote:
On 26/4/07 20:39, in article ,

"Mike Lyle" wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
quite mature like a twisted tree from a horror movie.

That's what they're supposed to look like. I believe the expression is
"architectural".

It produced some
olives a few years ago but they didn't taste as good as shop bought
ones. Of course, everyone said they were great!

ISTR the processing of olives to make them eatable is quite involved: I
read it up on the Web once, and I'm sure it'll still be there. It struck
me as little short of miraculous that humans ever worked out what to do
to them.

Despite my warning, Ray bit into a fresh one of ours and pronounced it truly
vile!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

You need to check out this site.. http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_recipes_.htm

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-04-2007, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/4/07 23:32, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 26 Apr, 21:40, Sacha wrote:

snip
Despite my warning, Ray bit into a fresh one of ours and pronounced it truly
vile!
--

You need to check out this site..
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_recipes_.htm

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks, David. I think it will be a while before our harvest warrants a
recipe, though. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

problem with olive tree eleonora66 United Kingdom 4 24-05-2007 10:45 AM
problem with olive tree Dave Hill United Kingdom 0 23-05-2007 02:08 PM
Problem with Olive tree covehithe United Kingdom 4 07-07-2006 01:42 PM
Olive Tree problem P United Kingdom 3 22-02-2004 06:45 PM
Fungal/insect problem with Olive tree? (0/1) news.gtn.net United Kingdom 0 08-05-2003 09:56 PM