Old 26-04-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default 'Hardening Off'

Tim W writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 25/4/07 21:01, in article , "Tim
W"
wrote:

[...] I'm afraid I don't understand your problem.

I don't have a problem as such, just a query.

My very limited experience is that there is no need to harden off . But
every text I read states you should/must harden off before planting outside,
while none of them offer any further explanation (other than vaguely getting
the plants used to the change which doesn't ring true since the weather can
change hourly anyway)

The temperature in your house or the greenhouse doesn't usually change
by a huge amount on an hourly basis. But you're not getting the plants
used to the fluctuation, you're getting them used to the cold bits,
which you do by getting them used to the slightly lower temperatures
during the day and gradually getting them used to the even lower
temperatures at night.

and none of them say what will happen if you don't
harden off.

So is it all going to go wrong for me next year when spring is cooler, and
how?

You may lose some plants if there is a sudden cold night. Or some plants
may die back a bit -soft young growth getting damaged.

You're a long way south. So if your experience is that your combination
of temperatures and sowing times means you don't need to harden off,
then don't do it.

--
Kay