Old 27-04-2007, 05:43 AM posted to austin.gardening
Mary[_6_] Mary[_6_] is offline

Default Need identification

Thanks, WoolyGooly and j0hN! Sure looks like ligustrum. Are they
supposed to be cut back? Any idea how fast-growing/what their lifespan
is? Recommended or overused or invasive in the Austin area? Do they
produce berries that birds like?

I'm very impressed with how they attract butterflies (counted 10 species
in the short time I was out today) and would consider them again in the
future just for wildlife if they aren't too pesky.

Thanks again.

WoolyGooly wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:10:35 -0500, Mary 'clock wrote:

Does anyone know what kind of bush this is? Pic he http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3725/bushzw6.jpg It's maybe eight feet tall and about as wide and the flowers attract scads of Red Admirals, Painted Ladies and Buckeye butterflies.

Thanks for any help!

Lugustrum (sp) or photinia. Can't tell which, some are blooming in my
neighborhood too *achoo*
Looks like my waxleaf ligustrum when I don't trim it and cut off the flowers

Here's one http://www.texarkanacollege.edu/~mst...ts/P000327.jpg