Old 26-04-2007, 10:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Need identification

Does anyone know what kind of bush this is? Pic he
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3725/bushzw6.jpg It's maybe eight
feet tall and about as wide and the flowers attract scads of Red
Admirals, Painted Ladies and Buckeye butterflies.

Thanks for any help!
Old 26-04-2007, 11:14 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:10:35 -0500, Mary 'clock wrote:

Does anyone know what kind of bush this is? Pic he
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3725/bushzw6.jpg It's maybe eight
feet tall and about as wide and the flowers attract scads of Red
Admirals, Painted Ladies and Buckeye butterflies.

Thanks for any help!

Lugustrum (sp) or photinia. Can't tell which, some are blooming in my
neighborhood too *achoo*
Old 27-04-2007, 04:45 AM posted to austin.gardening

WoolyGooly wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:10:35 -0500, Mary 'clock wrote:

Does anyone know what kind of bush this is? Pic he
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3725/bushzw6.jpg It's maybe eight
feet tall and about as wide and the flowers attract scads of Red
Admirals, Painted Ladies and Buckeye butterflies.

Thanks for any help!

Lugustrum (sp) or photinia. Can't tell which, some are blooming in my
neighborhood too *achoo*

Looks like my waxleaf ligustrum when I don't trim it and cut off the flowers

Here's one http://www.texarkanacollege.edu/~mst...ts/P000327.jpg
Old 27-04-2007, 05:43 AM posted to austin.gardening

Thanks, WoolyGooly and j0hN! Sure looks like ligustrum. Are they
supposed to be cut back? Any idea how fast-growing/what their lifespan
is? Recommended or overused or invasive in the Austin area? Do they
produce berries that birds like?

I'm very impressed with how they attract butterflies (counted 10 species
in the short time I was out today) and would consider them again in the
future just for wildlife if they aren't too pesky.

Thanks again.

Old 27-04-2007, 06:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

http://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=LIVU

First green, then mature to blue berries. Can make Yin tonic from those.
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/hea.../Ligustrum.htm

Ligustrum is a tree.
http://www.bullcreek.net/ligustrum.html

Its a pest like the chinaberry tree. Spread by birds. I saw a 30 ft.
chinaberry tree behind a carwash in Wimberley. Rest were usual live oak,
red oak, and "cedar" trees.

My parents used ligustrum for a hedgerow for over two decades. Then, cut
them down due to size.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Old 27-04-2007, 08:18 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dave wrote:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=LIVU

First green, then mature to blue berries. Can make Yin tonic from those.
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/hea.../Ligustrum.htm

Ligustrum is a tree.
http://www.bullcreek.net/ligustrum.html

Its a pest like the chinaberry tree. Spread by birds. I saw a 30 ft.
chinaberry tree behind a carwash in Wimberley. Rest were usual live oak,
red oak, and "cedar" trees.

My parents used ligustrum for a hedgerow for over two decades. Then, cut
them down due to size.

Mine are the original 1982 contractor shrubs - fast growing, evergreen.
They do need regular trimming if they are used as a hedge. They are
normally freeze hardy in Austin. I did have them get hurt when we went
down below 10F once in the last 20 years.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:17 PM posted to austin.gardening

Mary 'clock wrote:
|| Does anyone know what kind of bush this is? Pic he
|| http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3725/bushzw6.jpg It's
|| maybe eight feet tall and about as wide and the flowers
|| attract scads of Red Admirals, Painted Ladies and Buckeye
|| butterflies.
|| Thanks for any help!

Wax leaf ligustrum

"He that complies against his will is of the same opinion
still." -- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

"Since early 2005, more than 150 million personal records have
been exposed in dozens of incidents, according to information
compiled by the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. " - Companies that
collect this data must be held accountable for its security.

Old 27-04-2007, 03:59 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Mary 'clock wrote:

Thanks, WoolyGooly and j0hN! Sure looks like ligustrum. Are they
supposed to be cut back? Any idea how fast-growing/what their lifespan
is? Recommended or overused or invasive in the Austin area? Do they
produce berries that birds like?

I'm very impressed with how they attract butterflies (counted 10 species
in the short time I was out today) and would consider them again in the
future just for wildlife if they aren't too pesky.

Thanks again.

My blossoms are more purplish, and the "bushes" are well over 30 ft.
tall now.

The only birds that eat the berries are cedar wax wings.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 30-04-2007, 04:56 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:43:37 -0500, Mary 'clock wrote:

Thanks, WoolyGooly and j0hN! Sure looks like ligustrum. Are they
supposed to be cut back? Any idea how fast-growing/what their lifespan
is? Recommended or overused or invasive in the Austin area? Do they
produce berries that birds like?

I'm very impressed with how they attract butterflies (counted 10 species
in the short time I was out today) and would consider them again in the
future just for wildlife if they aren't too pesky.

Thanks again.

They are invasive and should not be planted any more. Remove the ones
you've got and replace them. For ideas, visit www.treefolks.org

Old 30-04-2007, 05:46 AM posted to austin.gardening

Treedweller wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:43:37 -0500, Mary 'clock wrote:

Thanks, WoolyGooly and j0hN! Sure looks like ligustrum. Are they
supposed to be cut back? Any idea how fast-growing/what their lifespan
is? Recommended or overused or invasive in the Austin area? Do they
produce berries that birds like?

I'm very impressed with how they attract butterflies (counted 10 species
in the short time I was out today) and would consider them again in the
future just for wildlife if they aren't too pesky.

Thanks again.

They are invasive and should not be planted any more. Remove the ones
you've got and replace them. For ideas, visit www.treefolks.org

Those treefolks don't seem to have much in the way of shrubs and hedges
which is what a ligustrum replacement would be. My ligustrums do a good
job of providing an evergreen barrier on the side yard and I keep them
trimmed back so there are no seeds produced.

Old 30-04-2007, 09:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Treedweller wrote:
[...]

I have two full sized ones that produce millions of seeds per year and
millions of seedlings... however, only about a dozen per year survive to
get to any size. Those get pulled up and potted and about 1/2 of the
potted ones survive. I'm eventually going to use the potted ones for a
hedge. I keep the tops cut down to size.

I guess they'd only be truly invasive in a really good environment. I
don't water the trees.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 30-04-2007, 05:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 03:33:32 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Treedweller wrote:
Those treefolks don't seem to have much in the way of shrubs and hedges
which is what a ligustrum replacement would be. My ligustrums do a good
job of providing an evergreen barrier on the side yard and I keep them
trimmed back so there are no seeds produced.

I have two full sized ones that produce millions of seeds per year and
millions of seedlings... however, only about a dozen per year survive to
get to any size. Those get pulled up and potted and about 1/2 of the
potted ones survive. I'm eventually going to use the potted ones for a
hedge. I keep the tops cut down to size.

I guess they'd only be truly invasive in a really good environment. I
don't water the trees.

For the record, I don't really care if ligustrum invade your back
yard. I'm concerned for the rest of us. The negative results of your
inaction are not visible to you, but they are there.

There are a number of local areas near creeks and in greenbelts where
the ligustrums have taken over. Natives decline because the dense,
tall bushes are shading everything else out. For one example, I was
volunteering a couple of months ago with the Bull Creek foundation.
They told me they'd spent many hours removing ligustrums (as well as
chinaberry). A lot of this work will be wasted, as the bushes will
sprout back from the stumps. They pulled them out by the roots when
possible, but larger plants had to be cut.

treefolks/shrubs:

try wax myrtle, mountain laurel, or yaupon holly for year-round green
bushes of significant size.