Old 27-04-2007, 08:18 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN jOhN is offline

Default Need identification

Dave wrote:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=LIVU

First green, then mature to blue berries. Can make Yin tonic from those.
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/hea.../Ligustrum.htm

Ligustrum is a tree.
http://www.bullcreek.net/ligustrum.html

Its a pest like the chinaberry tree. Spread by birds. I saw a 30 ft.
chinaberry tree behind a carwash in Wimberley. Rest were usual live oak,
red oak, and "cedar" trees.

My parents used ligustrum for a hedgerow for over two decades. Then, cut
them down due to size.

Mine are the original 1982 contractor shrubs - fast growing, evergreen.
They do need regular trimming if they are used as a hedge. They are
normally freeze hardy in Austin. I did have them get hurt when we went
down below 10F once in the last 20 years.