Old 20-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Unhappy Privet

Jim:

I'm in Northeastern PA (5-6) and we have had sub-zero temps quite a bit this year. We actually have several Privets that have been indoors for years with no problems (until this one).

I did check the roots and they look fine and it has been potted in a mostly Turface/grit mix.

No we haven't had a white-fly problem or scale and I am familiar with both enough to spot them.

Our temps have been single digits and teens for months so I'm afraid to take it outside now, especially in it's weakened state. I'm hoping it's only over-watering (that sounds bad doesn't it).

I was hoping to hear from a NE United States Privet owner on the wintering too to see what they are doing. I too have always heard they are durable but I've never heard of keeping them outside up here.

Here's a good indicator...we had a friend that ordered the same privet from FL back in December. It arrived after a week in our cold and it was toast. All leaves black and to this day it has not come back. The seller sent another but not until warmer te
mps had arrived and the seller said to keep it indoors in our climate. That's what I was basing the indoor treatment on.
Thanks,
Bil

Bill, I don't remember where you live. However, unless you have
had temps in the subzero range, your privet should NOT be inside.
Two winters without a cold dormancy may be doing it in.

These are amazingly tough plants. I've only lost one -- ever! --
and I THINK it was because of over watering (a mame-sized plant in
a pot with a tiny drainage hole). I have never had a privet show
the symptoms you describe.

I suggest that you lift the plant from its pot and take a close
look at its roots. They should be VERY fine and white. If
they're something else, cut the roots back to healthy white
roots, repot in a soil that drains rapidly, and ONLY water when
that soil dries out.

I'm assuming here that you have not been inundated by white fly,
or scale -- both are partial to L. sinensis, especially white
fly. White fly, if severe enough, can suck a privet dry. Scale
too, but I've never seen a real severe infestation of scale on
one of these plants.

Good luck. If the roots are OK, you need to get it outside as
soon as possible.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --