Old 20-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Unhappy Privet

I have a Privet (Ligustrum Sinesis) that has been unhappy lately. It is
indoor, in a south facing window, plenty of light, roots seem fine, temp
mid-sixty's or higher, and humidity tray but still it seems unhappy.
Slowly the leaves have partially dried out and then dried completely and
dropped. The leaves feel generally droopy and even though it is
producing new leaves some of the new ones even dry and drop. I've
carefully checked for any pests and it seems fine and I see no evidence
of anything mildew related either. The only symptoms I see are the
leaves drying out and/or drooping. I'm careful but the only thing I can
come up with is perhaps over-watering? It is confusing because the
leaves turn dark green at the end only, then they dry completely and
drop (not sure if that's how over-watering would affect it). These
Privets are usually bulletproof, it does not seem root-bound or does not
have rotten roots. It's neighbor privet has a few leaves doing the
same, and this privet has done this before, just never this severe.

Our winter has been severe and it is near a window, but that's where it
wintered last year with no problems.

I'm letting it dry out a little now since it only has a few bundles of
leaves left. Any ideas?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Bill, I don't remember where you live. However, unless you have
had temps in the subzero range, your privet should NOT be inside.
Two winters without a cold dormancy may be doing it in.

These are amazingly tough plants. I've only lost one -- ever! --
and I THINK it was because of overwatering (a mame-sized plant in
a pot with a tiny drainage hole). I have never had a privet show
the symptoms you describe.

I suggest that you lift the plant from its pot and take a close
look at its roots. They should be VERY fine and white. If
they're something else, cut the roots back to healthy white
roots, repot in a soil that drains rapidly, and ONLY water when
that soil dries out.

I'm assuming here that you have not been inundated by white fly,
or scale -- both are partial to L. sinensis, especially white
fly. White fly, if severe enough, can suck a privet dry. Scale
too, but I've never seen a real severe infestation of scale on
one of these plants.

Good luck. If the roots are OK, you need to get it outside as
soon as possible.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Corcoran. Bil

Jim:

I'm in Northeastern PA (5-6) and we have had sub-zero temps quite a bit this year. We actually have several Privets that have been indoors for years with no problems (until this one).

I did check the roots and they look fine and it has been potted in a mostly Turface/grit mix.

No we haven't had a white-fly problem or scale and I am familiar with both enough to spot them.

Our temps have been single digits and teens for months so I'm afraid to take it outside now, especially in it's weakened state. I'm hoping it's only over-watering (that sounds bad doesn't it).

I was hoping to hear from a NE United States Privet owner on the wintering too to see what they are doing. I too have always heard they are durable but I've never heard of keeping them outside up here.

Here's a good indicator...we had a friend that ordered the same privet from FL back in December. It arrived after a week in our cold and it was toast. All leaves black and to this day it has not come back. The seller sent another but not until warmer te
mps had arrived and the seller said to keep it indoors in our climate. That's what I was basing the indoor treatment on.
Thanks,
Bil

[...]

[IBC] Beginner question: unhappy ficus benjamina Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 10-12-2003 02:32 PM
Farmers likely to shy away from Bt cotton - Unhappy over low bollworm resistance Jim Webster sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Farmers likely to shy away from Bt cotton — Unhappy over low bollworm resistance Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 0 27-03-2003 11:08 AM
"unhappy" Odontoglossum gal Orchids 1 25-03-2003 10:44 PM
Unhappy Banana Plant Tim \(BBC\) United Kingdom 3 27-12-2002 04:03 PM