Old 28-04-2007, 02:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default CACTUS FLOWER

"blacklight" writes:
on my website www.rent-a-cloud.com there is a photo 'CACTUS
FLOWER' (under 'Greencards'). Could somebody, please, tell me its
correct common and botannical names? It is a cactus that grows in tall
multiple columns and, in this case, in temperate climate near Sydney.
Many thanks - Klaus Jaritz

Hi. Your site uses javascript, so I can't access it. But a tall
cactus I'd been chasing the name of turned out to be a Cereus cactus
named Peruvian Monster or Peruvian Apple because of its edible fruit.
It has large white flowers which tend to open at night, probably so
that it can be pollinated by bats or moths. I've seen it growing in
Sydney and colder frost-prone climes, and is much admired for its
stately columns.

This info might get you started, anyway.