Old 28-04-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Cicadas are coming soon

sherwindu wrote:
Here in the Midwest, we expect the 17 year Cicadas to appear around Mid-May and
extend to mid June. They like young fruit trees for laying their eggs by
slitting the bark. They can severly weaken a tree and leave it open for infection. Larger
trees may not be bothered by them. The solutions I have seen are mostly
recommending covering the young trees with a fabric cloth or possibly using Surround. I
don't like either of these two ideas, so if someone knows of a better solution, please let
me know.

Sherwin D.

Here in the Ohio Valley we had our Cicada invasion back in 2004. For
young trees the solution of covering the trees with a light fabric cloth
is the best solution I found. Neighbors who did not cover their young
trees did have a lot more damage and it took several years for the trees
to recover (but no one that I know of lost a tree).

By the way, I do have some information on my web site,
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cicada1.htm along with three dozen
pictures of our 2004 invasion.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)