Old 29-04-2007, 11:04 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Cicadas are coming soon

sherwindu wrote in
:

Not sure why you think there was a Cicada invasion in the Midwest in
2004. I did not see it here near Chicago. As far as I know, the most
common cycles in North America are 17 years for the Northern Cicadas
and 13 year cycles for the Sourthern Cicadas.

I'm in central Indiana. The Cicada invasion in 2004 made headline news
across the country because both types of Cicadas cycled together and the
noise and *smell* were incredible. You couldn't take a step without
crunching one.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...9_cicadas.html

From IU in 2004. Next date for 17 year Cicada, 2021:
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/1348.html

Cicada Watch 2004:
http://inside.msj.edu/academics/faculty/kritskg/cicada/
This site has a map that highlights the heaviest invasions. Chicago is on
the outer edge of the heaviest invasion.

They even made T-Shirts with Cicada pics on them to commemorate the
occasion:
http://www.cafepress.com/trendyteeshirts/634225