Old 30-04-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Planting in Barnsley!

On 30/4/07 12:53, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
| told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
| Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
| another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
| cold.

Entirely dependent on the plant! I can assure you that it is true
for Cyclamen coum and Passiflora incarnata :-)

Amazing. Don't forget, the furthest north I've gardened is Surrey. ;-) We
can't get Echiums to do very well here at all but we think that's because
our soil is so heavy and wet in winter.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk