Old 30-04-2007, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting in Barnsley!

I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
cold.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
| told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
| Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
| another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
| cold.

Entirely dependent on the plant! I can assure you that it is true
for Cyclamen coum and Passiflora incarnata :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 12:53, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
| told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
| Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
| another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
| cold.

Entirely dependent on the plant! I can assure you that it is true
for Cyclamen coum and Passiflora incarnata :-)

Amazing. Don't forget, the furthest north I've gardened is Surrey. ;-) We
can't get Echiums to do very well here at all but we think that's because
our soil is so heavy and wet in winter.

Old 30-04-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

On 30/4/07 12:53, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley,
| Yorkshire,
| told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
| Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
| another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries
| about
| cold.

Entirely dependent on the plant! I can assure you that it is true
for Cyclamen coum and Passiflora incarnata :-)

Amazing. Don't forget, the furthest north I've gardened is Surrey. ;-) We
can't get Echiums to do very well here at all but we think that's because
our soil is so heavy and wet in winter.

It will just be part of Barnsley repositioning itself as a Tuscan hill
village.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_r...679446,00.html
http://www.thisistravel.co.uk/travel...-Tykes-article.
html?in_article_id=33088

If you look carefully in this picture of Barnsley from above
http://society.guardian.co.uk/Societ...-10404756937,0
0.html

you can actually see the echiums, they're the green things which
form a line across the town centre, about 2/3 of the way back.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
cold.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
Devon County Show 17-19 May
http://www.devoncountyshow.co.uk/

I am amazed also. I would not have thought anyone from Barnsley would have
such exotic tastes.:-)
I am trying Echium for the first time this year and the Melianthus that I
planted last year became so big and straggly that I chopped it back a few
weeks ago. No damage whatsoever to the plant throughout last winter (did we
have a winter?)

Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley,
Yorkshire, told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They
were buying a Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think
that's probably another example of how sharp drainage is more
important than worries about cold.

Was told the same about growing them in Brixham, S.Devon of all places! Now
have two flowering at 8ft and still heading skywards here in Folkestone..
They seem pretty hardy to me after the snow and ice they went through during
their "cabbage" period...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!" Heh Heh

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.p...ur&oldid=16029

Conservapedia... Christian Fundamentalism at it's finest ;o)

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire, told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about cold.
Echium vulgare wouldn't be a problem, but I assume you mean something more tender.

My brother got echium pinninana to flower in a sheltered courtyard garden near Leicester, without any additional protection. So why not Barnsley?

Lavatera Barnsley waterlogged soil help please. uklude United Kingdom 10 21-07-2012 04:58 PM
Barnsley House - Rosemary Verey's Garden Natalie United Kingdom 0 23-07-2003 11:12 AM
Question about planting grass (small patches) [email protected] Lawns 2 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Planting Roses Cherylmdsharp Roses 2 31-03-2003 11:32 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM