Old 30-04-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M. Travis M. is offline

Default Douglas Fir centerpiece for septic system

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry if this is going to the wrong place, but I wasn't able to find a
decent group other than this one.

I have this douglas fir in my backyard, probably 50+ years old, the
people who built the septic system deliberately routed the drain field
around this tree.

The septic system has been in operation for 50 years with no problems
so I suspect the douglas fir is probably older than 50 years and roots
already established, but I can't really tell.

My question is, given the fact that the roots of this tree are
probably always in damp soil, plus provided with lots and lots of
organic matter from the drain field would this tree be a candidate for
rotting or would the tree be one of the strongest and healthiest
around the neighborhood? The city is also threatening to buy our
development out and that means sewer hookup - that douglas fir will no
longer be benefitting from my septic tank.

Will it then become public (welfare) housing?

The only reason why I'm asking is because I'm having a 50+ year old
birch removed that is deader than a doornail and I wondered if I might
take care of this tree before it falls and does some damage. I live
in an area where 60 to 70 mph gusts are not uncommon 2 to 3 times a
year. Frankly that the birch tree is still standing boggles my mind.

I happen to like the douglas fir where it is, it provides a home for
the birdies and squirrels and provides me with some shade in the
summer.

The Doug fir will be fine, most of its roots are very near the surface.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington