Old 30-04-2007, 05:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
Treedweller Treedweller is offline

Default Need identification

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 03:33:32 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Treedweller wrote:
Those treefolks don't seem to have much in the way of shrubs and hedges
which is what a ligustrum replacement would be. My ligustrums do a good
job of providing an evergreen barrier on the side yard and I keep them
trimmed back so there are no seeds produced.

I have two full sized ones that produce millions of seeds per year and
millions of seedlings... however, only about a dozen per year survive to
get to any size. Those get pulled up and potted and about 1/2 of the
potted ones survive. I'm eventually going to use the potted ones for a
hedge. I keep the tops cut down to size.

I guess they'd only be truly invasive in a really good environment. I
don't water the trees.

For the record, I don't really care if ligustrum invade your back
yard. I'm concerned for the rest of us. The negative results of your
inaction are not visible to you, but they are there.

There are a number of local areas near creeks and in greenbelts where
the ligustrums have taken over. Natives decline because the dense,
tall bushes are shading everything else out. For one example, I was
volunteering a couple of months ago with the Bull Creek foundation.
They told me they'd spent many hours removing ligustrums (as well as
chinaberry). A lot of this work will be wasted, as the bushes will
sprout back from the stumps. They pulled them out by the roots when
possible, but larger plants had to be cut.

treefolks/shrubs:

try wax myrtle, mountain laurel, or yaupon holly for year-round green
bushes of significant size.