Old 30-04-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Raised bed advise

Donna (UK) wrote:

Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have not
really found the answers I have been looking for. I was wondering if people
could give me some advise on what materials to use and not use etc.

At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a premoulded
plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting on top of paving
slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of... Or to make it out of
wood on top of the pond liner.

At our last house we made some raised beds out of wooden compost bins a
bit like this :-

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/.../referer./qx/g
g_shop/product.htm

and lined them with woven plastic fabric stuff.

You could maybe do something similar with your pond liner, although it
might be a good idea to poke some drainage holes in it first, don't want
it getting too waterlogged (unless you're planning a bog garden :-)).

We were only in that house for a couple of years, so I don't know how
well the beds would stand up to long term use, but they were fine when
we left.

--
Carol (near Derby)
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"