Old 30-04-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raised bed advise

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi Mike

Thank you for the reply. The reason I am sitting it on pond liner and

slabs
is as my mum doesnt really have anywhere that I can put a raised bed
directly in the earth. I am currently restricted to containers but I

wanted
to get a raised bed so I could sow more.

The link is http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_566926_Raised_Bed_Kit.htm for the
kit that I am looking at.

given the issue about the pond liner effectively making your raised bed a
container, that is isolated from the soil action underneath, and the lack of
space for a proper garden have you considered using somehting like an old
bath tub or 2 as a grown bed?

Not ideal when compared with a proper raised garden but likely better than
something with a pond liner underneath. You will get better soil depth and
have a built in drainage hole. They can be relocated fairly easily (use a
cart of something similar).

Otherwise, you could consider lifting up the slabs (if you mean here
pavers), siting the garden and repaving when done.

rob

Old 30-04-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have not
really found the answers I have been looking for. I was wondering if people
could give me some advise on what materials to use and not use etc.

At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a premoulded
plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting on top of paving
slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of... Or to make it out of
wood on top of the pond liner.

Any pointers or advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Donna

Old 30-04-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:
Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have
not really found the answers I have been looking for. I was
wondering if people could give me some advise on what materials to
use and not use etc.
At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a
premoulded plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting
on top of paving slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of...
Or to make it out of wood on top of the pond liner.

Any pointers or advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Donna

ADVICE.

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire

Old 30-04-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nitro®" wrote in message
k...
Donna (UK) wrote:
Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have
not really found the answers I have been looking for. I was
wondering if people could give me some advise on what materials to
use and not use etc.
At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a
premoulded plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting
on top of paving slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of...
Or to make it out of wood on top of the pond liner.

Any pointers or advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Donna

ADVICE.

it nevr fales to amaiz me just how much atenton is given to grammer and
speling on this noosgroop

:-(((

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
For all gardening features and advice,

Old 30-04-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:
Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have
not really found the answers I have been looking for. I was
wondering if people could give me some advise on what materials to
use and not use etc.

At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a
premoulded plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting
on top of paving slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of...
Or to make it out of wood on top of the pond liner.

Any pointers or advise would be appreciated

I'd scrap the pond liner for a start: gardening likes the free movement
of water. No need for the paving slabs, either: plain earth, well
loosened with a fork, would seem better to me. I'd never heard of these
interesting moulded plastic raised beds: can you post a link, please?
People generally use wood - scaffolding planks, for example - which
allows you to make the best size for your situation.

Are you hoping to have a raised bed which can be _moved_? That would
explain the paving slabs and pond liner idea. If so, I think you need to
think of containers - and maybe have a look at this American site for
some ideas:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
(I've merely found it: I haven't read it, and have no idea how good the
content may be.)

--
Mike.

Old 30-04-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:

Good afternoon all...

I have been looking around online for advise on raised beds but have not
really found the answers I have been looking for. I was wondering if people
could give me some advise on what materials to use and not use etc.

At the moment a couple of ideas I am looking into are either a premoulded
plastic raised bed on top of a pond liner which is sitting on top of paving
slabs with a gap between for water to flow out of... Or to make it out of
wood on top of the pond liner.

At our last house we made some raised beds out of wooden compost bins a
bit like this :-

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/.../referer./qx/g
g_shop/product.htm

and lined them with woven plastic fabric stuff.

You could maybe do something similar with your pond liner, although it
might be a good idea to poke some drainage holes in it first, don't want
it getting too waterlogged (unless you're planning a bog garden :-)).

We were only in that house for a couple of years, so I don't know how
well the beds would stand up to long term use, but they were fine when
we left.

--
Carol (near Derby)
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

Old 30-04-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:15:25 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Any pointers or advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Donna

ADVICE.

it nevr fales to amaiz me just how much atenton is given to grammer and
speling on this noosgroop

Wot?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 30-04-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Donna,

Why do you need pond liner? The water will need an escape point or you could
end up with a stagnant swamp that wont grow anything worth having.

I suggest you purchase some scaffolding boards - look on ebay or google -
they come in lengths up to 13 feet long x 9" wide x 1 and a 1/2 inch thick
for around £10 a board.
Cut to size, nail or screw together to form a
rectangle which fits the space you wish to use, place where you want the
raised bed and fill with good compost - I'd suggest a blend of 1 large bag
of multi compost, 1 bag of sharp sand and 1 bag of well rotted horse manure
if you can get it.

That should grow almost anything you wish.

Hope this helps.............good luck

Alan

news

Old 30-04-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day donna,

so i don't have to re-invent the wheel, come and visit our site we
have pic's and description of what we do and our successes.

look forward to seeing you there.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:57:23 GMT, "Donna \(UK\)"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 30-04-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thnak you all for the post

Donna

Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donna (UK) wrote:
Hi Mike

Thank you for the reply. The reason I am sitting it on pond liner
and slabs is as my mum doesnt really have anywhere that I can put a
raised bed directly in the earth. I am currently restricted to
containers but I wanted to get a raised bed so I could sow more.

The link is http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_566926_Raised_Bed_Kit.htm for
the kit that I am looking at.

Looks like a good easy solution. I still wouldn't use the pond liner,
though: you could end up with a miniature swamp. (Whatever you do, you
won't, of course, be able to move the bed when it's full of your chosen
growing medium.) I'm also sceptical about the potatoes the woman in the
picture is planting: I'd expect them to want a double-depth one.

--
Mike.