Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Four O'Clocks

Manelli Family wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,
I've started a bunch of Park's "Broken Color" variety and have
noticed that the foliage is different on some of them. Some are all
green and some have pinkish undersides to the leaves. Can I draw any
conclusions about the colors of the flowers based on these
differences?

Last year I only had one plant (from a solid variety). The foliage
was plain green and the flowers were pale yellow. This year I'm
interested in the multicolored flowers of the Broken Colors variety
but I've read here that many of the seeds produce solid colored
flowers.

These plants are like weeds once they get a foothold. We've been ripping
them out of one flowerbed for years now. Each generation gets taller
and weedier and uglier.

I have to agree that Four O'Clocks are more like weeks here than a
wanted flower. Me and my two neighbors have problems all season with
them. It seems the more you pull, the more that popup. And they popup
everywhere. Today, I spent over an hour pulling them from various
flower beds.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years