Old 30-04-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Four O'Clocks

Hi,
I've started a bunch of Park's "Broken Color" variety and have
noticed that the foliage is different on some of them. Some are all
green and some have pinkish undersides to the leaves. Can I draw any
conclusions about the colors of the flowers based on these
differences?

Last year I only had one plant (from a solid variety). The foliage
was plain green and the flowers were pale yellow. This year I'm
interested in the multicolored flowers of the Broken Colors variety
but I've read here that many of the seeds produce solid colored
flowers.

Thanks.

Old 30-04-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I've started a bunch of Park's "Broken Color" variety and have
noticed that the foliage is different on some of them. Some are all
green and some have pinkish undersides to the leaves. Can I draw any
conclusions about the colors of the flowers based on these
differences?

Last year I only had one plant (from a solid variety). The foliage
was plain green and the flowers were pale yellow. This year I'm
interested in the multicolored flowers of the Broken Colors variety
but I've read here that many of the seeds produce solid colored
flowers.

These plants are like weeds once they get a foothold. We've been ripping
them out of one flowerbed for years now. Each generation gets taller and
weedier and uglier.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:22:26 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I've started a bunch of Park's "Broken Color" variety and have
noticed that the foliage is different on some of them. Some are all
green and some have pinkish undersides to the leaves. Can I draw any
conclusions about the colors of the flowers based on these
differences?

Last year I only had one plant (from a solid variety). The foliage
was plain green and the flowers were pale yellow. This year I'm
interested in the multicolored flowers of the Broken Colors variety
but I've read here that many of the seeds produce solid colored
flowers.

These plants are like weeds once they get a foothold. We've been ripping
them out of one flowerbed for years now. Each generation gets taller and
weedier and uglier.

Down here they not only reseed, but also set bulbs and I love and
still grow them. I don't have the fractured forms, but I love the
white and there is a variety I tried this year called 'Butter and
Cream' with very pale colors, so named.

They are very easy to pull after a good soaking rain, and I do pull
them as they are plentiful, but the provide a ton of nectar to
hummingbirds and insects that I love them.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Manelli Family wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,
I've started a bunch of Park's "Broken Color" variety and have
noticed that the foliage is different on some of them. Some are all
green and some have pinkish undersides to the leaves. Can I draw any
conclusions about the colors of the flowers based on these
differences?

Last year I only had one plant (from a solid variety). The foliage
was plain green and the flowers were pale yellow. This year I'm
interested in the multicolored flowers of the Broken Colors variety
but I've read here that many of the seeds produce solid colored
flowers.

These plants are like weeds once they get a foothold. We've been ripping
them out of one flowerbed for years now. Each generation gets taller
and weedier and uglier.

I have to agree that Four O'Clocks are more like weeks here than a
wanted flower. Me and my two neighbors have problems all season with
them. It seems the more you pull, the more that popup. And they popup
everywhere. Today, I spent over an hour pulling them from various
flower beds.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 02-05-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

I appreciate the input on the weediness of the plant. Here in zone 6 I
don't believe the tubers survive the winter and whether any of last
year's seeds germinate remains to be seen. Actually I collected most
of the seeds so there shouldn't be too many anyway.

Can anyone answer my original question about foliage color vs. flower
color?

Doug

Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1 May 2007 18:08:34 -0700, Doug wrote:

I appreciate the input on the weediness of the plant. Here in zone 6 I
don't believe the tubers survive the winter and whether any of last
year's seeds germinate remains to be seen. Actually I collected most
of the seeds so there shouldn't be too many anyway.

Can anyone answer my original question about foliage color vs. flower
color?

Doug

I have never seen the foliage any color other than green, but with
sports, which I believe the fractured colors come from, may have a hue
of red to the foliage. That WAS your original question, right? If
not, please ask it again.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have never seen the foliage any color other than green, but with
sports, which I believe the fractured colors come from, may have a hue
of red to the foliage. That WAS your original question, right? If
not, please ask it again.

Yes, that was my original question.

The undersides of the leaves and the stems have a reddish tinge to
them. Not enough to add interest but noticeable. Maybe it will be more
pronounced when they're planted out in full sun. I'll plant both types
and post the outcome on this board.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2 May 2007 03:10:17 -0700, Doug wrote:

I have never seen the foliage any color other than green, but with
sports, which I believe the fractured colors come from, may have a hue
of red to the foliage. That WAS your original question, right? If
not, please ask it again.

Yes, that was my original question.

The undersides of the leaves and the stems have a reddish tinge to
them. Not enough to add interest but noticeable. Maybe it will be more
pronounced when they're planted out in full sun. I'll plant both types
and post the outcome on this board.

This may or may not be the reason for the reddish tinge, but in nature
where plants live under a high forest canopy will have dark undersides
to absorb as much light as possible. Rex begonia is an example of one
plant which has a very deep red underside for many varieties. So,
these four o'clocks may be somewhat more tolerant of more shade than
others.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

I have the "broken color" variety, and I never noticed the foliage, but I
admit to not paying attention. Last year I had about 6 different types -
white, yellow, magenta, and 3 or 4 multicolored. All seemed to have the same
medium green foliage. I have a packet of broken colors seeds on my desk -
can't wait to plant them

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"gemcat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Four-O-Clocks are a lovely mass planting around a tree or against some
other feature. They bring butterflys and humming birds and also have a
delightful perfume which you can notice in a fair size planting. All
plants are weeds if they grow where you do not want them but these
plants can be transplanted easily and you can also control them by
picking the seeds as you suggested. Plants with pigmented flowers have
the same pigment in the whole plant and you can be sure the ones with
purple leaves will have darker flowers although, in the broken colors
they still may be veri-colored. If you grow the saved seed you may
need to nick or scarrify it and soak it before planting. Have fun and
be assured, most people who see your four-o-clocks will love them.

my favourite four o'clocks are friday afternoons & off to the pub,
especially when Barry shouts the first round.

rob

Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill R" wrote in message
Manelli Family wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly! I too spent over an hour the other day removing their seedlings
*AGAIN* from among the iris plants. They would choke and shade out the
iris bed given the chance. I'm sorry I ever planted the blasted things.