Old 30-04-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Raised bed advise

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi Mike

Thank you for the reply. The reason I am sitting it on pond liner and

slabs
is as my mum doesnt really have anywhere that I can put a raised bed
directly in the earth. I am currently restricted to containers but I

wanted
to get a raised bed so I could sow more.

The link is http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_566926_Raised_Bed_Kit.htm for the
kit that I am looking at.

given the issue about the pond liner effectively making your raised bed a
container, that is isolated from the soil action underneath, and the lack of
space for a proper garden have you considered using somehting like an old
bath tub or 2 as a grown bed?

Not ideal when compared with a proper raised garden but likely better than
something with a pond liner underneath. You will get better soil depth and
have a built in drainage hole. They can be relocated fairly easily (use a
cart of something similar).

Otherwise, you could consider lifting up the slabs (if you mean here
pavers), siting the garden and repaving when done.

rob