Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Planting in Barnsley!

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley, Yorkshire,
told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They were buying a
Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think that's probably
another example of how sharp drainage is more important than worries about
cold.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I am amazed also. I would not have thought anyone from Barnsley would have
such exotic tastes.:-)
I am trying Echium for the first time this year and the Melianthus that I
planted last year became so big and straggly that I chopped it back a few
weeks ago. No damage whatsoever to the plant throughout last winter (did we
have a winter?)