Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Bird Food

On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:23:23 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Check your local Dollar General store. Don't buy the $1.00 bird feed bad,
has cracked corn. Pro (red bag) has sunflower and other seeds, no corn.
Same size blue bag has whole corn, no good. They also sell sunflower seeds,
same purpose. Bird feed. Look in the pet food aisle. Inexpensive.

I'm getting, primarily, robins and cardinals with the Pro bag. Some doves
followup later in the day. Sunflower seeds go first.

I buy premium black oil sunflower seeds. There is nothing else in
this but the sunflower seeds. No millet, or corn or anything else.
At our feeders we have both mourning and aztec doves, cardinals,
native sparrows, too many to name.

As an aside, we saw a flock of pelicans or sandhill cranes making
their way up north. They swoop in large concentric circles very high
up in the sky. By the time we got our binoculars they were gone.