Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Bird Food

If anyone else is tired of having alot of wasted birdfood on the ground, try
Bird Basics from PetsMart. It is mostly milo instead of millet and the birds
around central Texas seem to like it better. Doves like it alot and it
doesn't seem to attract grackles. (I don't work for either Bird Basics or
PetsMart.)

Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 01 May 2007 04:44:25 GMT, "Chuck"
wrote:

If anyone else is tired of having alot of wasted birdfood on the ground, try
Bird Basics from PetsMart. It is mostly milo instead of millet and the birds
around central Texas seem to like it better. Doves like it alot and it
doesn't seem to attract grackles. (I don't work for either Bird Basics or
PetsMart.)

Several years ago we started using black oil sunflower seeds and we
have been attracting tons of birds. The other day, not at our feeder,
a Green Heron landed in front of my husband and left after a moment.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

If anyone else is tired of having alot of wasted birdfood on the ground,
try
Bird Basics from PetsMart. It is mostly milo instead of millet and the
birds
around central Texas seem to like it better. Doves like it alot and it
doesn't seem to attract grackles. (I don't work for either Bird Basics
or
PetsMart.)

Several years ago we started using black oil sunflower seeds and we
have been attracting tons of birds. The other day, not at our feeder,
a Green Heron landed in front of my husband and left after a moment.

Check your local Dollar General store. Don't buy the $1.00 bird feed bad,
has cracked corn. Pro (red bag) has sunflower and other seeds, no corn.
Same size blue bag has whole corn, no good. They also sell sunflower seeds,
same purpose. Bird feed. Look in the pet food aisle. Inexpensive.

I'm getting, primarily, robins and cardinals with the Pro bag. Some doves
followup later in the day. Sunflower seeds go first.

--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:23:23 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Check your local Dollar General store. Don't buy the $1.00 bird feed bad,
has cracked corn. Pro (red bag) has sunflower and other seeds, no corn.
Same size blue bag has whole corn, no good. They also sell sunflower seeds,
same purpose. Bird feed. Look in the pet food aisle. Inexpensive.

I'm getting, primarily, robins and cardinals with the Pro bag. Some doves
followup later in the day. Sunflower seeds go first.

I buy premium black oil sunflower seeds. There is nothing else in
this but the sunflower seeds. No millet, or corn or anything else.
At our feeders we have both mourning and aztec doves, cardinals,
native sparrows, too many to name.

As an aside, we saw a flock of pelicans or sandhill cranes making
their way up north. They swoop in large concentric circles very high
up in the sky. By the time we got our binoculars they were gone.