Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Planting in Barnsley!

On 2/5/07 00:22, in article , "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I was astonished yesterday when someone who lives in Barnsley,
Yorkshire, told us that they were able to grow Echiums there. They
were buying a Melianthus to take back and 'give it a try'. I think
that's probably another example of how sharp drainage is more
important than worries about cold.

Was told the same about growing them in Brixham, S.Devon of all places! Now
have two flowering at 8ft and still heading skywards here in Folkestone..
They seem pretty hardy to me after the snow and ice they went through during
their "cabbage" period...

Les

All this has me wondering if we can make a special Echium garden with loads
of drainage in it. The very suggestion will make me deeply unpopular atm,
so I think I'll save it for later.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk