Old 28-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] Am I wasting my time?

Carl,
I'm with Jim here. It's the UV you are really getting them used to, and
that comes through loud and clear even on cloudy days.
Best Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Carl asked:
Dear IBC'ers:

At this time of the year, I start trying to acclimate my semi

tropicals
to the brighter light of the out doors. However, there are a

lot of
days when it is cloudy and rainy here in Soiuthern NJ. I

usually keep
the trees in doors during the inclement weather. What are your

thoughts
on whether the time is wasted putting the trees out on the

sunny days.
Is their an accumulation of the brighter light to the leaves

or is it
loss when the trees are left indoors during inclement weather?

"Jim Lewis" wrote:

Unless I'm missing something here, you may be doing this
backwards. If you want to acclimatize your trees to brighter
light and real UV you should have them outside first on the dull
days (still probably brighter than anything they've had inside)
and work them up to full sun.