Old 28-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Am I wasting my time?

Dear IBC'ers:

At this time of the year, I start trying to acclimate my semi tropicals
to the brighter light of the out doors. However, there are a lot of
days when it is cloudy and rainy here in Soiuthern NJ. I usually keep
the trees in doors during the inclement weather. What are your thoughts
on whether the time is wasted putting the trees out on the sunny days.
Is their an accumulation of the brighter light to the leaves or is it
loss when the trees are left indoors during inclement weather?

Thanks for your comments.

Carl L. Rosner

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Dear IBC'ers:

At this time of the year, I start trying to acclimate my semi

tropicals
to the brighter light of the out doors. However, there are a

lot of
days when it is cloudy and rainy here in Soiuthern NJ. I

usually keep
the trees in doors during the inclement weather. What are your

thoughts
on whether the time is wasted putting the trees out on the

sunny days.
Is their an accumulation of the brighter light to the leaves

or is it
loss when the trees are left indoors during inclement weather?

Unless I'm missing something here, you may be doing this
backwards. If you want to acclimatize your trees to brighter
light and real UV you should have them outside first on the dull
days (still probably brighter than anything they've had inside)
and work them up to full sun.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Marty Haber

I'm a great believer in cold frames for border-line trees. All you need to
do is raise the covers and Presto! - you have outdoor conditions.
Marty
At this time of the year, I start trying to acclimate my semi tropicals
to the brighter light of the out doors. However, there are a lot of
days when it is cloudy and rainy here in Soiuthern NJ. I usually keep
the trees in doors during the inclement weather. What are your thoughts
on whether the time is wasted putting the trees out on the sunny days.
Is their an accumulation of the brighter light to the leaves or is it
loss when the trees are left indoors during inclement weather?

Thanks for your comments.

Carl L. Rosner

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Bart Thomas

I suspect that the question Carl is really asking (and the one I was hoping
for answers on is:

Is it worthwhile bothering to take the tropicals out on warm days (and
bringing them back in late in the afternoon) long before one would set them
out for the summer? Or is it a waste of time in terms of extending the
growing season and health benefits to the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Bart Thomas

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

****

Old 29-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Carl L Rosner

Marty:
That would be fine if I had the room for a cold frame. I use my garage
for most of my trees, but my six Bougainvillea, Buttonwood, Ficus
retusa and a few other wouldn't survive. That is why I have my heated
green House. What I am trying to do is extend the growing season here
in Southern NJ. Bart Thomas, who lives in Northern NJ was also
interested in an answer.

Thanks,

Carl L. Rosner

Old 29-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Carl L Rosner

Thank you Shelly!

Maybe what I wrote accidenrtly to Jim Lewis and not to the group, whould
give you my reasoning for asking the question; so I copy it he

Jim:

I put them out for an hour the first day (full sun) and increase the
time each day over several weeks. We are still experiencing fairly
cold weather 50's to low 60's, so when the sun isn't out, it is too
cold. Maybe I am doing it wrong.... ????? That's why I posed the
question. :-[

Carl

Shelly Hurd wrote:

Carl,
I'm with Jim here. It's the UV you are really getting them used to, and
that comes through loud and clear even on cloudy days.
Best Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Carl asked:

Old 29-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Iris Cohen

I start trying to acclimate my semi tropicals to the brighter light of the
outdoors. However, there are a lot of days when it is cloudy and rainy here in
Soiuthern NJ. I usually keep the trees in doors during the inclement weather.

Why? Once I put the trees outdoors, I only bring them in if frost threatens.
The rain refreshes them & leaches out excess salts that may have accumulated
during the winter. And remember, a cloudy day outdoors is still brighter than
fluorescent lights.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Bart Thomas

Congratulations, Nina.

Now that you're a _Tree_ pathologist, a question came up while you were
moving, originated by Carl Rosner, and re-phrased by me:

Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Congratulations, Nina.

Now that you're a _Tree_ pathologist, a question came up while

you were
moving, originated by Carl Rosner, and re-phrased by me:

Is it worthwhile bothering to take the tropicals out on warm

days (and
bringing them back in late in the afternoon) long before one

would set them
out for the summer? Or is it a waste of time in terms of

extending the
growing season and health benefits to the tree?

Well, being a pathologist, she may not be able to answer that
until the trees die. ;-)

Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I answered this offlist, not realizing it was an on-list question.

Is it worthwhile bothering to take the tropicals out on warm
days (and bringing them back in late in the afternoon) long before one

would set them
out for the summer? Or is it a waste of time in terms of extending the
growing season and health benefits to the tree?

My answer isn't based on any plant pathology, just based on my
experience with indoor bonsai. My true tropicals do very well
indoors in a sunny spot, and don't get any benefit from being put
outdoors early in spring. Instead, they run the risk of getting
sun-scorched or frozen (if I forget them, as I frequently do). So I
see no benefit in doing the "bonsai two-step", moving them in and out.

My half-hardy plants, however, the ones I need to overwinter indoors,
but which ideally should have overwintered outdoors if I were a few
USDA zones warmer, do very poorly indoors, and the sooner I get them
outside, the better, even if I have to move them in and out for a
while. These include plants such as rosemary, camellia, gardenia,
chinese elm, and so on.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD