Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Padraig Padraig is offline

Default Frustrated bird

"Patty Peeples" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Pat....
It is a beautiful feeder!...
They will get used to it.
But I would still keep the other feeder up.
Then you will get the more curious ones on the new feeder. They will
teach each other.
That has been my experience.
Have a great day!

Thanks Patty. Yesterday I took the new one down and modified it a bit. I
drilled some holes in the clear plastic so they can prise seeds through it
rather than uselessly pecking at the plastic. My experience tells me most
seed eaters aren't very bright. If they were, they'd look down at the full
trough down by their feet. But often they don't.

On a related subject --- I posted the following in alt.binaries.birds today:

According to the Orange County (California) Vector Control District
http://www.ocvcd.org/index.php?ct=rats1 rats are attracted to food sources
such as WILD BIRD SEED.

If you, like me, put out seed for feathered friends you may be unknowingly
contributing to an increased rat population in your area.

I only became aware of this after finding a dead rat on my property the
other day. As I write this I am awaiting a visit from a Vector Control
District inspector to see if he can find any other signs of infestation.

It may be that I have fed my last bird.
--
Paddy's Pig