Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Frustrated bird

I used to have a simple wooden tray with a screen bottom that served as my
feeder. I got tired of the looks of that so I invested in a fancier model!
The birds don't seem to like it much.

I wonder why?
--
Paddy's Pig
------------

Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated bird-frustrated-bird.jpg
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Hey Pat....
It is a beautiful feeder!...
They will get used to it.
But I would still keep the other feeder up.
Then you will get the more curious ones on the new feeder. They will teach
each other.
That has been my experience.
Have a great day!
Patty

Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Patty Peeples" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Pat....
It is a beautiful feeder!...
They will get used to it.
But I would still keep the other feeder up.
Then you will get the more curious ones on the new feeder. They will
teach each other.
That has been my experience.
Have a great day!

Thanks Patty. Yesterday I took the new one down and modified it a bit. I
drilled some holes in the clear plastic so they can prise seeds through it
rather than uselessly pecking at the plastic. My experience tells me most
seed eaters aren't very bright. If they were, they'd look down at the full
trough down by their feet. But often they don't.

On a related subject --- I posted the following in alt.binaries.birds today:

According to the Orange County (California) Vector Control District
http://www.ocvcd.org/index.php?ct=rats1 rats are attracted to food sources
such as WILD BIRD SEED.

If you, like me, put out seed for feathered friends you may be unknowingly
contributing to an increased rat population in your area.

I only became aware of this after finding a dead rat on my property the
other day. As I write this I am awaiting a visit from a Vector Control
District inspector to see if he can find any other signs of infestation.

It may be that I have fed my last bird.
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message

On a related subject --- I posted the following in alt.binaries.birds
today:

According to the Orange County (California) Vector Control District
http://www.ocvcd.org/index.php?ct=rats1 rats are attracted to food sources
such as WILD BIRD SEED.

If you, like me, put out seed for feathered friends you may be unknowingly
contributing to an increased rat population in your area.

I only became aware of this after finding a dead rat on my property the
other day. As I write this I am awaiting a visit from a Vector Control
District inspector to see if he can find any other signs of infestation.

It may be that I have fed my last bird.
--
Paddy's Pig

Yes, I found that feeding birds from seed feeders attracted rats. It's the
birds' fault, they spill so much. What isn't eaten by rats grows!

But it's often said that you're never more than 10 metres (or yards) from a
rat and where there is one rat there will be lots more ... just because you
don't see them doesn't mean that they're not around.

Mary

[IMG] code is On

Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Edible Gardening 4 11-07-2008 05:35 PM
Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Gardening 1 05-07-2008 12:41 PM
Newbie and frustrated ebruvold Ponds 29 20-03-2005 01:47 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...? Lava Plays Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-05-2003 04:56 PM