Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff[_6_] Geoff[_6_] is offline

Default Runner beans

So, my runner beans, growing upwards through inverted 8" plastic flower pots
as I described some time ago, are now 4 feet up the bamboos and there's not
one leaf damaged by slugs/snails and the ants stay away too! I piled up
earth around the pots to protect the beans' roots from any frost there might
be - so far OK. My "insurance" beans (To hell with the small cost!) in the
greenhouse are looking good and I'll give them away if I do not need them.

I thought I'd try another experiment so bought a pack of those yellow double
sided sticky flypaper things for hanging in greenhouses. I cut one sheet
into six parts. With a hole punched in each part I removed the backing and
hung them at various levels on the bamboos using thin galvanised wire to
hold them reasonably still. That was done about two weeks ago and each
portion has caught dozens of what look like blackflies and white flies
besides many normal looking flies. No ladybirds, hover flies or bees have
been caught I'm glad to say and there are no aphids on the plants as yet. I
do not know what sex the blackflies are, they are not wearing skirts or
trousers!

Do not be critical about what I've done - I could not care less but there's
always some smart arse. Try it yourself for a few weeks.

Geoff