Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Road_HogŪ[_3_] Road_HogŪ[_3_] is offline

Default SCORCHED LAWN

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
My Golden Retriever did the same to our lawn when we first got her.
Strange thing is the scorching stopped after a while and we now get strong
growing patches instead. I did nothing and am still not sure whether her
pee changed as she got older or the lawn got to like it.

The lawn burn is caused by the dog's urine being high in nitrogen content.
If your dog has reduced its protein intake or drinks more water than it used
to, then this will reduce the concentration of nitrogen.

Nitrogen is a main component of lawn fertilizer, which is why you may see
extra grass growth if it rains soon after the dog has wee'd. If you gn the
garden at the same time as the dog, then just take a watering can and douse
the affected area.