Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Grass in roses

On May 3, 12:43 am, Larry Apolonio wrote:
Hi All,

After about two years of neglect I have decided to clean up my front yard.

One of the problems I have is grass growing in two of my rose plants. I
don't know who to ask and I did google for "grass in roses" but I don't
think there is a common problem. Could be wrong though.

I did try and pull the grass by hand but it seems to really be in there.
I'm afraid it will kill the roses.

Thanks,
Larry A

Grass and weeds pull out much easier when the soil is wet; so water
or pull the grass after a good rain.
A sharp pointed tool, such as the hori knife mentioned, or an
'asparagus
knife' or even a screwdriver can loosen the soil to remove grass
easier,
but too shallow to damage rose roots.
If you use a mulch, be sure to keep it a few inches away from the
base of the plant.
Emilie