Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Carrots are in the ground

Hud wrote:
It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked the
soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed packet
says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't wait to
see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I have
the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering them
once per day adequate?

Probably me. Great little book isn't it? Funny thing is I put in my
carrots today...no sun to do it by though.

Don't expect the carrots to germinate within two weeks. Carrots will
take longer...up to a month. Some people plant some radish at the same
time cause they would mature and be picked just as the carrots really
get going. (I don't cause I'm not a fan of radishes).

So, don't worry if you don't see anything until the end of the month.
Just don't let the area dry out.

To add, I've also put in my spuds, turnip, peas and onions. I'm well on
my way...despite a chilly spring.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's ice chilled Far East.